Disclaimer: This post is more like a list of notes rather than structured material.
To be honest, before using
fishshell I only used
bash and it satisfied my needs, but around ~6 months ago my friend suggested me to try
fishshell instead and it was totally worth it.
Below I’m going to list some pros and cons that I found for myself (some of them are pretty straightforward and obvious).
- Autosuggestions: they are based on your history and previous completions.
Statistics on used commands is taken into consideration and
fishshellmakes the best choice.
- Completions: press Tab and it will either complete single option or display a list
- $PATH: enter
set -U fish_user_paths /usr/local/bin $fish_user_pathsto append
/usr/local/bin. It will affect current and all future sessions
- Documentation: anything can be found here
- Configuration: mostly everything is OOTB, but if you do need to do some customizations there is an easy way just type
fish_shellin shell and you’ll see config UI.
- Autosuggestions: No way to disable them and is some rare cases they might be annoying.
I would definitely recommend to give it a try.
brew install fish and visit fishshell to learn more.